We understand how challenging the meticulous nature of state and local taxes (SALT) can be for most businesses, especially those who operate across multiple states. There are over 13,000 state tax jurisdictions nationwide, which makes it important to understand how business operations can impact liability with both state and local taxes. Brown Plus provides a wide range of multistate tax services to assist businesses and individuals through the complex network of state and local taxes.
What Are The Benefits of State and Local Tax Services?
Whether your business is expanding into additional states, working with remote employees or selling products digitally, staying on top of the complexities associated with these taxes requires constant attention and significant resources. Our SALT consultant can support both for-profit and nonprofit organizations in any state specializing in various taxes, including sales and use, corporate net income and multi-state tax issues.
What State and Local Tax Services Do We Provide?
Our consultant has the knowledge and experience to provide the following services:
- Audit Representation: Our tax professionals can work directly with the Department of Revenue and provide support behind the scenes in determining strategic documentation processes and responses.
- Refund Representation: We will work with businesses to reclaim money from overpaid state and local taxes.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Our state and local tax consultant can help determine state and local tax exposure during a potential merger or acquisition.
- Conflict Resolution with the Department of Revenue: We can provide support with administrative items, such as establishing payment terms or plans with the Department of Revenue.
- Taxability Studies: Our consultant can review what businesses are selling and how products or services are categorized for tax purposes. We can also assist in determining which products are taxable or considered tangible personal property and who the ultimate end user would be for tax determination purposes.
- Nexus Study: Our state and local tax consultant will assess business’ current, historical and expected multi-state activities to determine state and local tax jurisdictions in which prior or prospective filings are appropriate. Based on this information, we work with our clients to enter voluntary disclosure programs and ensure proper tax filings.
- Special Purpose Entities: In applicable situations, we can assist in creating special purpose entities to take advantage of tax benefits.
- Credit and Incentive Negotiation: If businesses are expanding or moving to a new location, we will work to find credits within various states and localities in advance to ensure that there is room for negotiation.
- Sales and Use and Abandoned and Unclaimed Property Process Reviews: We can provide guidance on what businesses should be doing moving forward, based on sales tax refund opportunities or issues. We also provide business assistance in finding unclaimed paychecks and remitting money to the state.
Why Choose Brown Plus?
Our SALT consultant can provide proactive advice, along with navigating the ever-changing state and local laws and regulations. Our consultant combines industry-specific knowledge and technical expertise to implement state and local tax strategies for organizations of all sizes and within all industries. Our team keeps up to date on the latest developments in SALT news to ensure we are providing our clients with the best service possible.
Contact Brown Plus to inquire about how we can help you with your state and local tax issues!
Brown Plus provides services nationwide with a concentration of clients in the Mid-Atlantic region. Our offices are located throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland.